I spent the weekend in Berlin with one of my good friends. Despite of the grey weather in February, Berlin is an amazing city which has so much to offer!
1.See the city with a free walking tour – this is a great way to see the the city and at the same time listen to the interesting history of Berlin
2. See the Berlin Cathedral – a beautiful architectural building located on museum Island
3. Visit Brandenburg Tor – this huge monument which has played a significant role in Germans history
4. Visit Museum Island
5. The Germans are known for many things, and their chocolate is definitely worth the good reputation(!)
6. See Checkpoint Charlie
7. TV tower and enjoy the view
8. Visit Charlottenburg castle – a huge castle in the western part of Berlin (20 min. travel by the U-bahn from Berlin Mitte)
9. Find a cosy hotel to enjoy your stay even more. We stayed at Michelberg which was a great experience. It is located in the eastern part of Berlin at: Warschauer Str. 39-40, Berlin
10. Visit the Olympic park – this it quite a sight!
11. Visit the memorial for the murdered jews
12. Visit the East Side gallery – an outside museum which beautiful street art on the Berlin wall
13. Try tasting one of the classic german dishes – Currywurst mit pommes or Wiener Schnitzel
14. Explore Kreuzberg area -walk around in this creative area and stroll down Oranien strasse. We stopped the taste the cakes at Fräulein Wild (they serve vegan cakes and food!).
15. Climb the Reichstag and enjoy the great view of Berlin – a good recommendation would be to book in advance
16. Soviet Memorial, Treptower Park – a very nice and beautiful park created in the memory of the fallen Soviet soldiers during WW2.
17. Visit a ‘Photoautomaten’ – you will find many of these around the city
There are so many things to do in Berlin, many more than you have time to do in a weekend – at least of lot of the things you can do deserve more time than just a short visit!
A good idea is to always bring Euros(cash) with you – surprisingly many shops/cafes do not accept Visa-cards.
Another must read about Germany: Spending a day in Munich.